Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Job


I really enjoy my job as a lecturer at the University of Cenderawasih. I feel the job is challenging and interests me so much. I figure that the work is fascinating because of its various advantages. Further, there are three main benefits attracting me most to work in the university.

First of all, my working hours in the university are flexible. I can arrange my teaching schedule in accordance with my work load, because sometimes the schedule is changed for sudden internal or external department meetings. It also supports my mobility because often I have to work either in other faculties or other places. For example, I regularly teach in the Geography Department, and sometimes I also leave Jayapura for surveys or inspections.

Secondly, I have many chances to develop my expertise and professionalism through cooperation with other institutions. I am involved in governmental institution projects encompassing my positions as a technical team member of Regional Planning and Environmental Management Boards in Papua Province. Another thing is my professionalism develops by sharing my skills. In line with this, I have worked as a staff member both, as a planning and environmental consultant, and also as environmental inspector in private companies.

Lastly, I have opportunities to take part in the race for human development in Papua. I contribute to teaching and doing research relating to my expertise and related Papuan issues. For example, I did research related to infrastructure planning and also environmental issues in Papua Province. Besides that, I give suggestions and opinions when asked and participate in seminars relating to human development in Papua. Sometimes, I write my opinions in the local newspaper and became a seminar speaker to share my concepts and ideas.

In brief, these advantages are the main reason to hold my position as a lecturer in Cenderawasih University. However, although I realize that the profession is not what I dreamed of at the beginning, I believe that I have a huge responsibility to help other people, particularly Papuans. The sacrifice I made was the right choice. No matter what, I am still on the right track for a really success for future.

No comments: